Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default Interfaker 4 RS232 test set

"John Rumm" wrote in message

On 14/02/2015 19:14, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 12:01:10 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Has anyone any technical information on the Interfaker 4 MT25-IV from
Modular Technology?

SNIP

Maybe it's got the intelligence to auto join up two "randomly"
connected RS232 devices rather than leaving it to the operator to work
out what I recall was sometimes a bit of a black art?

I have a feeling I have used one a long time ago... I don't think they were
particularly smart. Probably just had the ability to generate their own
RS232 voltage levels (using a Max232 or similar device), and perhaps using
battery power to illuminated the LEDs rather than line power.

I think that you are right John - no intelligence as such just power
generation and buffering. I used to use one and others of a similar ilk back
in the 70's and early 80's but only as a temporary patch panel and monitor
to prove handshaking and making up a final cable to the same spec. I think
that the Interfaker was the one others tried to copy at a lower price as
they were stupidly expensive even then.

Andrew