Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Interfaker 4 RS232 test set

On 14/02/2015 19:14, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 12:01:10 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Has anyone any technical information on the Interfaker 4 MT25-IV from
Modular Technology?

I thought it was just a 25pin to 25pin breakout with the usual LEDs, DIP
switches and jumper wires? My Componodex Miniscope seems to have been
trampled by an elephant ...

Yes so did I - it has quite a few ic's - possibly they are just buffers to
avoid loading - not easy to see what they are due to the sandwich
construction. The Interfaker 3 took a 9 volt battery, and this Interfaker 4
takes three AA cells giving 4.5 v so another possibility is it has a charge
pump inverter to generate +- 9 volts. Nicely made kit.

Maybe it's got the intelligence to auto join up two "randomly"
connected RS232 devices rather than leaving it to the operator to work
out what I recall was sometimes a bit of a black art?

I have a feeling I have used one a long time ago... I don't think they
were particularly smart. Probably just had the ability to generate their
own RS232 voltage levels (using a Max232 or similar device), and perhaps
using battery power to illuminated the LEDs rather than line power.

--
Cheers,

John.