Peter Lowrie

Default What Would Cause Overheat In Scanner Radio

spammed wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
I have a scanner to try and fix for my mother. it is an older Bearcat
model 350 and after about 20 minutes overheats I guess and shuts down.
Other tha that it works fine. What to look for and or change myself.
Nick

check for vent blocks and amount of heat from power transformer (which

could
be failing)

1.Check the electrolytic capacitors in and around power supply. 2.Check
shunt, fusable and other resistors in the same place...3 Check outputs from
voltage regulators, 4. Check rectifier diodes.

You need an ESR low ohms meter to check caps and a multimeter for everything
else.

Go for it.

Peter Lowrie