Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default KVM power supply.

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 00:18:25 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
It'll be the output cap. Crack it open (it'll almost certainly be
welded shut. You can crack the seams carefully by squeezing them in
a vice) and replace the cap.

One of the youtube teardowns shows the use of a screwdriver handle to
whack it with can be surprisingly effective in that situation.

This one was so well welded or glued that nothing would prise it apart.
And even after cutting it open on three sides, the fourth ripped rather
than the joint giving way.

Angle grinder? Or Dremel?

I open the welded shut ones using a Stanley knife, with the blade
protruding just 2mm, which avoids damage inside, and limits the
damage to you if you slip. Ripping apart is not a problem - it
gives more surface to glue back together afterwards.

Superglue will glue most of them back together (it's actually being
used as a solvent weld in this case). At repair events, if they can't
be fixed back together securely, I regard that as terminal and dispose
of them. (If it's my own, I'll likely reuse the circuit board in another
case.)

--
Andrew Gabriel