Posted to uk.d-i-y
BartC BartC is offline

Default OT - Programming Languages

On 03/02/2015 22:39, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Adam Funk

On 2015-02-03, Tim Streater wrote:

And my tab chars are five, not eight spaces long.

Heretic!!!

My editor converts them to spaces anyway. That is the only sensible use
for a tab character.

So you press Tab and get five spaces (or up to five presumably if
in-between tab stops).

What happens if you press Delete or Backspace when positioned at either
end of one of those groups of five spaces; does it delete just one space
or all five?

How about navigating across such a group; does it need one Cursor Left
or Right, or five?

If your editor really does just convert to multiple spaces, then that
would drive me up the wall.

(FWIW my own editor keeps tabs as tabs but displays them as four spaces.
That can be varied to any tab spacing with a single key press. That's a
lot harder to do once tabs are converted to actual spaces.)

--
Bartc