Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default OT - Programming Languages

On 02/02/2015 21:04, wrote:
Remember that we are talking about a new, non-adult, programmer.

JavaScript is much more like C, from the point of view of such a person, than, for example, are Pascal, assembly, APL, Forth, FORTRAN, DOS Batch.

It does not need to be purchased, since it can be executed in free Web browsers sich as Firefox and Chrome (which have debugging tools). It does not need to be compiled. In that form, it is sandboxed; it should not be able to harm the system in which it runs.

But it can write to the system when run in an HTA or in Windows Scripting Host, a matter of which Ferretygubbins would need to be aware.

You can download a reduced version of MS's tools for free. (they seem to
encourage people to learn Windows development). You can have a
reasonable, if slightly dated C; a fairly good C++; and of course their
own C# - which is easier to learn.

And to be honest now I'm working on Android I really miss MS's tools.

And their documentation. When I want to open a file I just want to know
how to do it. I don't _need_ to know how the FS does it under the hood,
and sometime I find I have to reverse engineer the source just to get
the interface

Andy