Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default OT - Google Earth Pro free licence

On 02/02/2015 22:39, polygonum wrote:
On 02/02/2015 22:24, Dennis@home wrote:
On 02/02/2015 22:07, polygonum wrote:

it's 25MB (+overheads) so e-mailable(?).

Why would anyone send anything that big by email?

Because its easy and pretty reliable.
I have sent 100s of megabyte emails before now.
There is no point in doing so here as the setup program asks for the key
when it installs.
It took me two attempts to register, the servers are overloaded.

It is, generally, easy.

Reliable, I think not. Many email servers refuse to handle such large
emails.

The ones I were using could handle up to 250 Mbytes and couldn't send to
any others outside their restricted IP address range. Its a layer of
security that you don't get on public mail servers.

It has advantages if you need to deliver a file in that you know its
there when the email arrives and it can go at a low priority and not get
people trying to download stuff on the corporate links during the day
when they arrive at work.

It can also be rather unfriendly. If you know sufficient details you are
possibly in a position to make a reasonable decision but suddenly
finding your limited 3g/4g connection downloading such a large file, to
a device that can't even use it, doesn't seem a good idea. And that can
very easily happen. Especially as there are so many sensible
alternatives such as the near-ubiquitous Dropbox and its rivals.

That would be a user problem as if you were using a 3g/4g connection you
would set the mail client to only download the minimum needed to see
what to do with the email. (Or run imap.)