Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dr.s.lartius@gmail.com is offline

Default OT - Programming Languages

On 2015-01-29, SL&gmail.com wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 21:48:48 UTC, Ferretygubbins wrote:

Boy1 (13) is interested in learning how to write code and so I would like

JavaScript .... The language is a bit like C.

The language is not even remotely like 'C'.

Remember that we are talking about a new, non-adult, programmer.

JavaScript is much more like C, from the point of view of such a person, than, for example, are Pascal, assembly, APL, Forth, FORTRAN, DOS Batch.

It does not need to be purchased, since it can be executed in free Web browsers sich as Firefox and Chrome (which have debugging tools). It does not need to be compiled. In that form, it is sandboxed; it should not be able to harm the system in which it runs.

But it can write to the system when run in an HTA or in Windows Scripting Host, a matter of which Ferretygubbins would need to be aware.

--
SL