Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gordon Henderson Gordon Henderson is offline

Default OT - Programming Languages

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/02/15 15:39, Dennis@home wrote:

FORTRAN is Ok, I learnt it while at primary school aged 9.
We had to hand punch cards and send them to IC to run the programs.

I don't like C or C++ even though I have had to use them.

I quite liked pl/m 86 (and RMX 86) when I used them.

ASM86 was OK.

Embedded SQL was so boring as is all database stuff that I worked on.

FORTRAN (77) was "good at maths".

That was about it IME. I learnt C at the first opportunity.

FORTRAN was ugly, limited structure, poor IO and generally horrid in so
many ways. But for a scientist, it was very solid, and got the job done.

This.

FORmula TRAnslation

Without all the added guff that comes with everything else.

In its original form, it's a relatively simple language - easy to compile
and easier for the later, clever compilers to recognise vectorisation
optimisations and so on.

It would not surprise me if some of the current maths libraries are still
written in FORTRAN, but called from other languages such as Python, C, etc.

Gordon