Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Programming Languages

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 10:21:29 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:
Hum, personally I'm not keen on Python, it relies on correct and non
mixed (tab/space) indentation to run

Just set your editor to insert spaces when you press the tab key. Tab
characters in source files are the spawn of satan.

and when it doesn't it doesn't,
in my experience, tell you that it's upset about the indentation, it
just weird things (cause code is being run in an unexpected order) or
falls over with an error "that can't happen", except when the code is
running in an unexpected order.

I find Python easy to read and write, and (more to the point) my son
found it fairly easy to pick up at 16.

[...]

I also dislike python, although it has its uses (and a wide variety of
special purpose libraries). However, in case you consider it a useful
piece of information, note that the Physics dept at Imperial College
teaches python in first year physics.

It was FORTRAN in my day. Back then, all the big physics analysis
programs were in FORTRAN. AIUI, that's no longer the case.

Some of the physics guys at work still use it. I wonder what Tim Watts'
experience is?

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.