Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] cl@isbd.net is offline

Default Photo negatives, slides copier recommendations?

Steve wrote:
wrote:

Steve wrote:
wrote:
Bill wrote:

I'm looking for any personal recommendations for a copier that
will copy from normal 35mm neg's [...]

I have an Epson V700 which I used to scan a mix of 2.25" square
and 35mm negatives and I also use as a general purpose scanner.
I've been very pleased with it over the years.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the point of digitizing negatives?

They're not digitised as negatives, the scanner software turns them
into normal positive images which you can then view on your PC,
tablet, TV, phone, etc.

Thanks. I looked into this a while back and was told that a scanner
couldn't make them positives; I'd need to have them developed first.
Has the technology advanced, or did I misunderstand?

It depends more on the scanner software than the hardware I'd guess.
My V700 Epson does it automatically, or at least the software supplied
with the scanner does it automatically. I.e. it recognises a colour
negative film and converts it to a positive image that's pretty well
colour balanced without any intervention from me. It also does a good
job on restoring the colour balance of old and badly faded
transparencies.

--
Chris Green
ยท