Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT - Programming Languages

On 29/01/2015 16:34, Fredxxx wrote:
On 29/01/2015 15:59, bert wrote:
In message , David
writes
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:41:51 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 28/01/15 23:59, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
Huge wrote:

I'd go for Python. Starting here;

https://www.python.org/about/gettingstarted/

The big drawback I found when I tried to get into Python was that
everything non-trivial needed one to find the right class to add to
the
basic language.
On the one hand, it was nice to have classes already written to do
more
complex things, on the other hand it's not easy for a beginner in a
particular language to judge which one of (perhaps) a multitude of
extension packages best suits a job.

I think I'd start with some simpler less extensible language where
there's a better chance of getting to grips with a much smaller range
of possible features.

Perl.

Looks like C, low overhead, do a lot without any modules and the basic
core of it's syntax is very similar to C, PHP and Java so, like
Latin it
is both not quite dead, and a very useful thing to learn as it makes
learning other languages easier.

Another vote for Perl.
Also a pointer to the Perl Monks for lots of resources.

I notice that nobody has mentioned Basic, designed as an entry level
programming language and much used on the BBC Micro.
Bad memories of Microsoft's take on Basic, then VB?
Or a preference for more modern structured languages?

Cheers

Dave R

I did hear mention somewhere recently that someone is considering
resurrecting the Spectrum

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12..._ as_rubbish/

as a games console with preloaded software...

Are they resurrecting the 2k of RAM as well?

?

or was that a typo for 32K?

I'm sure there are emulators if anyone is that desperate!

Indeed, plenty, but sometimes the charm of the old systems comes from
the simplicity of interacting with the hardware.

--
Cheers,

John.