Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes[_2_] Mike Barnes[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Programming Languages

On 2015-01-29, Mike Barnes wrote:
Huge wrote:
I consider PHP to be a festering pile of doo-doo

So you've said before. But it works for me.

AAMOI what do you dislike so much?

My initial dislike was because it mixes code with presentation - HTML
with code mixed in - gag, spit.

I felt the same. How could this work?, I thought. But it does work,

All kinds of things "work", but are vile. MS Windows, for example.

Leaving aside the subjective judgements, how does it compare with the
alternatives? For usefulness, I mean.

Difficult to avoid subjectivity.

Some people find it easier to avoid than others.

I'm one of the few people who came to Windows late in life (both professionally
& personally). The first GUI I used was the Xerox Star (the great-granddaddy
of them all), then various Unix ones (Motif, SunView, NeWS, OpenWindows).
I finally got exposed to Windows at the very beginning of NT. I was
appalled. It was obviously a mountain of hacks, side-effects, inconsistent
UI widgets (how many kinds of 'file open' windows are there? 12? 13?). Some
things were an icon, some things weren't. Even though it was all called
"Windows" it was obvious that it was different pieces gaffer taped together
(some of that is still visible today. Try the difference between the way
Word and Excel close multiple files when you try to exit from them. Word
does it right, Excel doesn't. (BTW, Word is a distant descendant of the
Xerox Document Editor from the Star, whereas Excel was bought in.) Things
have got steadily better over the years, but I still think Windows gets in
the way too often, causing to me snort derisively when people talk about
"inutitive" and Windows in the same breath - what they mean is "familiar".

I don't see any comparison with the alternatives, but if all you want's
a rant, keep going by all means. Just don't expect me to respond for
much longer.

And GUI designers (all of them!), please note that if an icon needs a label
to tell you what kind of thing it is ("Wastebasket") then it's a ****
icon.

Yes there are **** icons around but even the best icon in the world
warrants a label because some people respond better to text than graphics.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England