Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Programming Languages

On 30/01/15 10:52, Huge wrote:
On 2015-01-30, Tim Watts wrote:

I approve of an accessible web language, but it needs to be robust and
make the hacker do the right thing (or blow up, but in a helpful way).
Otherwise you get half arsed hackers writing full blown web apps that
are full of security holes.

And I give you ... Mt. Gox!

Written (in PHP) by a half-arsed hacker, lost $484M.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments...leaked_source/

Hmm. IBM sell CICS to companies that need to do super industrial
strength transaction processing. I am reliably told by an ex student who
did a stint with IBM that CICS, whilst old at it's core is so utterly
debugged and solid and well designed that it's still a very popular
product. IBM solved the "old" by layering new technologies around the
core so integrators don't need to know about "the old".

I would trust my $100million banking operation to CICS.

And in the other corner, we have some crud written in PHP.
That is so going to become my new email signature once I working Mt Gox
and PHP into a catchy one liner.