Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default [OT] Cool tiny tiny PC

On 28/01/2015 00:32, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tim Streater
scribeth thus
In article , tony sayer
wrote:

Try with Word or Excel for the same effect then. Come on, slowcoach.
You asked for an example and I gave you one. Don't try to weasel out of
it now.

I still don't see the problem, it just tells you to close the document
and rename it.

Thass right, I have to close the doc, rename it, and then open it
again. What kind of ****ty UI is that, when I could just rename it and
the app knows that this has happened, and carries right on.

Umm .. unless I've got this arse about face somewhere lets assume you
have a Word doc open under say Office or Openoffice or similar.

If I want to save that and any particular format it gives me the option
to just "save" it as it is, inc any alterations I've done since I opened
it, under the same name or location, or "save as" which means a
different format different name and location if I so want?.

Then I've got two files, rather than having Word continue editing the
one file under its new name.

That is usually a good way to protect users from themselves. At least
then they don't end up with one file called "letter.doc" that contains
only their most recently sent correspondence.

People can do really dumb things with computers.

Well is that a serious problem Tim?. You can use the "chooser" to rename
the doc without even opening it but really I've never found that to be a
problem at all!.

I sometimes re save the file if I'm making small changes to it a sort of
mark 1 and 2, 3 etc but if you do make a spare unwanted file just delete
it..

Save As - Keeping previous revisions of documents is good practice.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown