Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default [OT] Cool tiny tiny PC

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Mike Barnes
wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
"Dennis@home" wrote:

On 26/01/2015 20:50, Tim Streater wrote:
In article om,
"Dennis@home" wrote:

On 26/01/2015 16:51, Tim Streater wrote:
In article om,
"Dennis@home" wrote:

On 26/01/2015 13:02, Mike Barnes wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
I have a file on
the desktop, I open it in Notepad and Notepad++

I then rename it. Notepad seems entirely unaware of this.
Meanwhile, at
least Notepad++ thinks that the original file "no longer exists".
Well
in fact it does, it just has another name.

This is more interesting. One could equally argue that the original
file
does not exist, but another file with the same content but a different
name does exist. Both statements could be considered true,
depending on
how you think of things. You clearly think differently from Notepad++,
but that doesn't make Notepad++ wrong.

Even notepad will just save it under the original name and leave the
renamed file as it was when it was renamed. Just like most people
would expect.
If you wanted to rename it you would just save as the new name and
delete the old one if you wanted to.
Windows is not written for programmers unlike the *ever so popular*
linux.

And Publisher?

I don't have publisher in any version.

Try with Word or Excel for the same effect then. Come on, slowcoach.
You asked for an example and I gave you one. Don't try to weasel out of
it now.

I still don't see the problem, it just tells you to close the document
and rename it.

Thass right, I have to close the doc, rename it, and then open it
again. What kind of ****ty UI is that, when I could just rename it and
the app knows that this has happened, and carries right on.

Obviously Windows is not written for *users*, if this is the kind of
convoluted workaround that's considered normal by you and others of
your ilk.

Do calm down, there's a good chap. Probably 99% of Windows users have
never experienced the problem you're getting so worked up about and
wouldn't give a damn if you explained it to them.

I'm sure they have, they've just never noticed it because of what
they're used to. For them it's just "how computers work". It doesn't
occur to them that there's no need for it, so they don't see a problem.

I'm sure plenty of Windows have come across it, I have myself (though I
suspect most users haven't). But really, it's not a big deal, I'm not
really in the habit of renaming files open in other programs.

Bit annoying sometimes if it happens? sure, rather it didn't? sure, but
it's no big deal.
--
Chris French