Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default [OT] Cool tiny tiny PC

On 26/01/2015 13:02, Mike Barnes wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
I have a file on
the desktop, I open it in Notepad and Notepad++

I then rename it. Notepad seems entirely unaware of this. Meanwhile, at
least Notepad++ thinks that the original file "no longer exists". Well
in fact it does, it just has another name.

This is more interesting. One could equally argue that the original file
does not exist, but another file with the same content but a different
name does exist. Both statements could be considered true, depending on
how you think of things. You clearly think differently from Notepad++,
but that doesn't make Notepad++ wrong.

Even notepad will just save it under the original name and leave the
renamed file as it was when it was renamed. Just like most people would
expect.
If you wanted to rename it you would just save as the new name and
delete the old one if you wanted to.
Windows is not written for programmers unlike the *ever so popular* linux.