Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Cool tiny tiny PC

On 26/01/15 15:33, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:

On 2015-01-24, Tim Streater wrote:

I see that file browser windows in Win7 (and in fact in Linus Mint)
have a little "refresh" icon for the user to click because they are
unable to be told that their view of a folder is now out of date.

In the Linux case, not strictly true. You *can* manually refresh the
view, if you want to, but the Linux kernel has the ability to inform
programs that the filesystem has changed out from under them, and Debian,
Ubuntu & Mint file browsers make use of that. I rarely, if ever, click
the button.

OK thanks - I'll watch out for that next time I fire up the Mint VM.

Theres a couple of things that confuse Mints file manager thing. One is
NFS. If you hard mount an NFS share and it goes away, so too will your
computer as the auto=refresh simply hangs.

Editing networked drives from another machine also screws up its
understanding. It doesn't know the file has changed then.

finally its a bit ugly if you use ssh to mount a remote file system
using sshfs.

Once again changes made even by itself are not always guaranteed to show
up. But there is always the refresh button.