Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default [OT] Cool tiny tiny PC

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Chris French wrote:
In message , Chris French
writes
In message , Huge
writes
On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is,
now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the
file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but I don't seem what you mean.

Though I do agree that the 'file is already open' behaviour of Windows
in annoying at times

I'm not sure we're talking about exactly the same problem

Yes, its a completely different problem/quirk etc.

but ISTM that Windows is negligent in not telling me which program(s) a
file is locked by, or a removable drive is allegedly "in use" by.

Yes, particularly when its so easy for it to work out what is using it.

There seems to be strong tradition in Microsoft's error messages of
omitting the information that the user actually wants to know.

That's overstating it.

(I think the tradition started with "Bad command or file name".)

That is more excusable. If it actually is a bad command, its harder
to work out what the user did intend the command to be.