Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes[_2_] Mike Barnes[_2_] is offline

Default [OT] Cool tiny tiny PC

On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is, now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

None of the Linuxen I've used do that..

None of the Windowses I've used does that either.

All of the ones I've used (XP & Win7) work that way.

Even worse, it won't allow me to move the chooser window so I can't even
get it out of the way.

I'm puzzled by the differences between our experiences and I imagine
there's a misunderstanding somewhere.

I open Firefox then I open Word and do "File: Open". I can move the Open
dialog around anywhere I like. I can bring Firefox to the front. The
only thing I can't do, until I close the Open dialog, is to move or
resize the original Word window. Are things different on your system?

BTW I'm on Windows 7 but IIRC Windows 3.0 and subsequent were no
different in this respect.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England