Posted to uk.d-i-y
john james[_2_] john james[_2_] is offline

Default [OT] Cool tiny tiny PC

news
On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is, now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the
file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

I don't get that. I just tried it. File - Open, file chooser open. Now go
and play in any one of the many other programs I've also got open, no
problem at all.

OTOH I don't run windows maximised - is that the difference?

No, I do run many windows maximised and can switch away
from the window which has the file chooser open and do
anything I like and come back to it and use it to go to the
location I need to go to. But it's usually better to just close
the file chooser and go and find the file using what you
usually do to find a file and once you have found it just
indicate that you want to open it in the app in the way
you usually do that rather than switch back to the still
open file chooser and navigate to where you found it.