Posted to uk.d-i-y
john james[_2_] john james[_2_] is offline

Default [OT] Cool tiny tiny PC

On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is, now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the
file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

None of the Linuxen I've used do that..

None of the Windowses I've used does that either. The Open dialog usually
disables its parent (which is not where I'd be looking to remind myself)
but IME it doesn't disable anything else.

I try to avoid File-Open anyway, for convenience.

Yeah, I do too, I mostly used the pinned entries in the right mouse
click list on the taskbar icon with Win7 with frequently used files.

I locate the file using Explorer or equivalent

I do that with the less frequently used stuff.

and drag it onto the app's window.

I just click on it and right mouse click on it when
I want to do use a less frequently used app for that file.