Posted to uk.d-i-y
john james[_2_] john james[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone here part of SpeedWatch?

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
"charles" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
Robin wrote:
But that's where you're wrong. Members of Speedwatch have the legal
authority to operate a speed "gun". Others haven't.

They also have the police issuing letters that state a car was
exceeding
the speed limit - no "alleged", no admission that there might have been
an error. And with no right of appeal - which is justified on the
basis
that the driver can take civil action against the police or the speed
gun operators.

Poor diddums, getting a letter from the police. how can you appeal
against
a letter, anyway?

It's something to wipe your arse with - along with the satisfaction of
knowing that you have wasted other people's time and money because they
cannot issue you with a speeding ticket.

I am surprised at the underlying level of anger engendered by what I see
as an advisory activity.

I'm not surprised that people like Adam don't like been snooped on.

I suppose living in a *large* village I am more concerned with the impact
of *through traffic* than what the locals get up to.

The set up here is a small group of volunteers armed with high viz jackets
and an easily read display board. How speeds are obtained and recorded is
beyond my knowledge. The location is invariably close to the exit from a
30 zone or just inside for the other direction.

Speed data gathered may be used to trigger a mobile enforcement set up
(camera van) but not noticed so far.

I see them as a low cost harmless deterrent.

People like Adam don't.

Or is the consensus that
posted speed limits are irrelevant and road safety should be left to the
preferences of the driver?

No, that any speed limits have to set for the worst conditions
and that much of the time those conditions are not present
and exceeding the speed limit isn't any less save when its only
exceeded by say 10% so it makes no sense for self important
******* to be mindlessly enforcing speed limits.

And yes, I routinely exceed speed limits when it is safe to do so.