Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Anyone here part of SpeedWatch?

In article ,
Robin wrote:
That's a conspiracy to pervert the course of
justice.

Possibly a conspiracy but sadly I think not one where that chaage could
be supported given "the course of justice" means the police's
investigation of a possible crime or proceedings to prosecute one and,
as you pointed out, the police can't use a Speed Watch report to pursue
a prosecution.

That's why there is an Inderpandent Police Complaints Commission

Such cases are no doubt rare - possibly very rare indeed. But the
complete absence of procedure to deal with them (other than civil
action) offends my sense of justice - the more so as it seems to me it
would have been easy enough to provide for appeals; and because it fits
the pattern of extra-judicial actions such as Police Information Notices
(a.k.a. Harassment Warning Notices) and powers for non-sworn officers
(where eg I've not the faintest idea what powers civil enforcement
officers have under Community Protection schemes in other places or how
to recognise them.)

But above all I really think the technology needs to be improved so as
to provide more than just a manuscript report alleging speeding. On
which, are *both* Speed Watch members required to read the speed from
the gun or can it just be one person's report of the speed?

You'd need new speed guns with displays on the side as well as a 3rd member
of the team. No 2 is busy writing down the reg number, etc. One of our
number thought the saying the number into a recording device and
transcribing later was a good idea - not allowed.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18