Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Fence panel clips -- I must be thick ...

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 23/01/2015 04:03, Rod Speed wrote:
alan_m wrote
Roger Mills wrote

Yes, indeed. They look the same as the ones in the Wickes video cited
by alan_m. I haven't got a clue what the big hole is for, though!

The fixing screw goes through the clip into the first vertical edge
rail, then through the large hole in the clip, then through the fence
slats AND the vertical edge rail the other side.

That's not how the video does it.

The smaller the hole the more accurate you would have to be when
positioning the fixing screw.

But that hole can't have anything going thru it retention wise.

It looks like the large hole is to allow you to put the screw
into the much smaller hole behind it, thru the large hole.
But that isn't how the video does it either, he puts the
screw into the hole that is below the large hole from
the other side and doesn’t use the large hole at all.

I can't remember how long the screw was in the video. What alan_m says
makes sense - a long screw goes through the small hole into the upright at
the back of the panel, then through the big hole (with plenty of
clearance!), through the slats and on into the upright at the front of the
panel - making quite a solid job.

That isn't how the video does it, at 4:10 minutes.

You can certainly say that the large hole is so that the screw
that holds the clip onto the panel can come to thru the timber
that the clip slides over and out that panel and thru the large hole.