Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Compare running costs of unvented system to combi

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:35:22 +0000, Dennis@home wrote:

What "tax on others" for Solar Thermal? Only stand alone HW only
systems or hybrid systems where the other heat source is a biomass
boiler are eligable. "Biomass boiler" does not include a log

burning
stove with boiler.

Both solar PV and thermal only makr finacial sense with the subsidises..

Solar PV I'd agree, Solar Thermal not, though it depends on how soon
you expect to break even. It's not a short term retern...

Solar Thermal that is part of a hybrid system with an oil boiler

are
*not* eligable for RHI payments. Mains gas rules you out of RHI

right
at the beginning.

No it doesn't, not for water heating.

I pretty damn sure that mains gas used to rule you out of all of the
RHI but briefly reading around Ofgem and Energy Savings Trust that
appears to have disappeared.

In the Ofgem Guidance document it states very clearly, several times,
that Solar Thermal is for domestic hot water only to be eligable for
RHI.

You can get 19.6p per unit.

Provided the Solar Thermal is only heating domestic hot water.
Connect to a thermal store and you can't get the RHI. I don't
understand the reasoning behind that, it's heat FFS. We burn about
200 l less oil over the summer (May - Oct) since the thermal store
and solar thermal went in. Are they saying that that saving is in
lieu of the RHI? If we'd installed the Solar Thermal as "stand alone"
DHW with the same oil boiler as back up we'd get the RHI *and* the
saving on oil. There was not even a whisper back then that this
restriction was about, I don't think it was mentioned in the
consultation either. It just appeared when they launched the domestic
scheme.

Now they are fiddling with the scheme rules and the documentation
seems to be written by people who don't understand what they are
writing about or are not writing what they think they are.

I might give the EST or Ofgem a call, one or the other sent an email
a while back saying I haven't applied yet. I haven't applied because
I don't think our hybrid solar thermal/oil/log burner to thermal
store feeding HW and CH is elgiable. Mind you I'm still not sure it's
worth jumping through the hoops of getting an EPC and Green Deal
assessment for just £1000 spread seven years.

--
Cheers
Dave.