Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_8_] michael adams[_8_] is offline

Default Covering worktop with Fablon

wrote in message
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:41:21 AM UTC, michael adams wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 12:58:21 PM UTC, michael adams wrote:

Nowadays most kitchens will probably go out of style before
the laminate shows any signs of wear. Similarly I can't see

So what. Keep it long enough & it'll come back in fashion.

25 years of constant earache, just so as to be proved right,
all along ?

25? The last kitchen was over a century old.

Fashion is meaningless.

I totally agree with you, certainly where kitchens are concerned.
And I'd imagine around 48% of the population (making allowances for
kitchen designers, salesman, and fitters ) agrees with us.

Unfortunately a large proportion of the other 50% don't.

The exact same item is fashionable, then not, then fashionable,
etc. Just a way to get people to throw out what they bought and
buy again. Why choose to follow it.

Because that's how a vibrant modern economy works. Persuading people
to buy things they don't really need, everything from new cars to
new jumpers* to new kitchens, to power tools, provides more work for
everyone. Rather than having them sitting around with too much time on
their hands, and boring one another to death by contemplating
the essential meaningless of life.

We'd all like to vote green, throw away our cars and visit
our allotments on bicycles and generally be nice to one
another, but history tells us that simply isn't going
to happen. All communes and similar have always eventually
broken up as a result of the participants arguing among
themselves. Because that's what human beings mainly do.
Argue.

Whatever kitchen refuseniks such as yourself might like to
think.

michael adams

* One reason stores like Marks and Spencer reported lower
profits this autumn and winter was because the mild weather
meant people bought fewer jumpers and coats. Any they'd bought
previously presumably, having ended up in charity shops
where they both get in the way of the books, and maybe
subsidise their low prices. The push chair rule. The more
push chairs you have to navigate past to reach the books
in any shop, the lower are likely to be the prices.