Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Bit of a long shot ...

"Phil L" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
Don't suppose anyone has got a 'retired' Indesit IDCA 735 condenser
tumble dryer sitting in the garage, or any mates in the washing machine /
tumble dryer repair trade that might have either intimate knowledge of
this model, or service info - specifically a wiring diagram. I believe
there is also an equivalent Creda and Hotpoint model.

Basically, I've done a front and back bearing rebuild and belt job on it.
It's all basically back together, but I have a wire left over, and I'm
buggered if I can see where it is from. I don't even remember taking it
off. It comes from the controller board, tag J11-1. This is at the bottom
right, immediately next to a thick mains earth wire which is on J11-2.
The wire that I'm having trouble finding a home for is thin black, with a
small un-insulated spade tag on the end. It heads in the general
direction of the front of the machine, but all the stuff like door
interlock switch and thermal cut out are connected. I thought at one
point that it might be an earth to somewhere as its tag on the controller
PCB is right next to one that actually is earth, but no continuity
between the two. I'm wondering whether there is a high value resistor
between this wire and earth, and it is some kind of static leak from the
rotating drum somewhere. I've had the unit powered, and it all seems to
work as far as I can tell, so it's obviously not something that is
important to fundamental operation, but I'm reluctant to return it to my
daughter as being "all fixed now" without at least knowing what the wire
is, even if it would be impossible to get it back on now it's all back
together ...

Isn't there a spare connector somewhere waiting for this spade? - if not,
you may have attached something else to the connector this black one
should have gone to, which begs further questions.....

Well, I'm sure there *is* a spare connector waiting for it. If I knew where
it was, I wouldn't be asking ... I have years and years of experience of
doing this sort of stuff. I repair electronic equipment to component level
for a living. I'm well aware of how jobs like this work. When you can't find
where wire goes, it's usual to look carefully at any bends, and how it
'hangs'. This usually gives a clue as to where it goes. In this case, the
only thing that this reveals, is that it heads towards the front. If you
have any experience of doing tumble dryer bearing jobs, you will know that
in order to do the front felt bearing, the drum has to come right out, and
most of the front panel / door assembly needs to come off. As you undo the
last screw, all rigidity disappears like a magic trick, and you are left
with several floppy bits of metal in your arms. I'm guessing that the wire
came off its connector at round about this point, without me noticing it.

So wherever it goes is probably now hidden behind the drum or front panel
somewhere, and unless it is absolutely necessary, I'm sure as hell not
taking all that apart again. There are no similar single tag wires that have
been taken off, so it is not a case of a wire having been put on the wrong
place ...

Arfa