Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Carbon Monoxide

On Monday, 19 January 2015 09:33:50 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

Sounds like you need to shop them to the Health and Safety exec.

Yes.

if they do nothing you can have a clear conscience when the death occurs.

Nope, he could have done something more effective.

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
I was working at the UK's celebrated Stafforshire Hospital complex
recently when I realised that one of the overseers at the MTX plant was
suffering from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

The office he uses is immediately above the diesel powered generator and
when you enter the office to sign in or out etc., you are immediately
aware that the fuel isn't burning correctly.

Well I fell out with the gentleman concerned and the inevitable happened.
A few minutes ago I came across an article on HVAC that said that Carbon
Monoxide can alter your perception of time (which goes some way to explain
a lot of his behaviour) the thing is that I don't see him getting the
generator fixed. The job is coming to an end and I doubt it will be
repaired when the machine oiis moved for use elsewhere.

Going by the shabby state of things being run by someone in that state of
health, the toilet facilities for example (I would have thought an
hospital wouldn't allow things like that but of course these days with
third and fourth party controls it is difficult for health and safety
departments to keep up to speed (It probably explains why increasing
legislation is so necessary, too.))

"The primary health concerns associated with carbon monoxide exposure are
its cardiovascular and neurobehavioral effects. Carbon monoxide can cause
atherosclerosis (the hardening of arteries) and can also trigger heart
attacks. Neurologically, carbon monoxide exposure reduces hand to eye
coordination, vigilance, and continuous performance. It can also affect
time discrimination."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HVAC

This sounds like I am trying to get even with the man I fell out with but
really I am past that stage of upset. I don't wish to ruin his future with
the company. They do state on their website that they will retrain people
who need it.

Something nasty is going to happen with the way he is allowed to run
things if he gets sited near the exhaust of that thing on his next job.
Honestly, if I had taken a picture of the way they handled some really
delicateand expensive hospital equipment and linked it here ...you
wouldn't believe it. You wouldn't be able to.

So what does one do?
I have never been a whistle blower but (as it happens I have just been
writing about exactly that sort of thing:
https://weathercharts.wordpress.com/ Not yet posted.)

It turns out that I am a **** who is afraid of whistle-blowing. I wouldn't
have thought it but there you go. Do I want people to think I am only
saying this to get even, or am I really concerned about the people
involved?

The obvious answer is:
What difference does it make?
I know now after writing this that I have to write to MTX. Will I?

Some foam in the vent you mean?