Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Carbon Monoxide

On Monday, 19 January 2015 01:28:06 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 16:51:06 -0800 (PST), Weatherlawyer wrote:

I was working at the UK's celebrated Stafforshire Hospital complex
recently when I realised that one of the overseers at the MTX plant was
suffering from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

The office he uses is immediately above the diesel powered generator and
when you enter the office to sign in or out etc., you are immediately
aware that the fuel isn't burning correctly.

The chap might be a rat in your books but rats still have right to
live. CO is nasty stuff at low levels and long exposure. It is also a
killer.

I imagine he could have a driving accident one night. It wouldn't bother me but if he killed someone, that would.

You have information that someone's working conditions pose a real
threat to their health or even life. If the latter was to end due to
CO and you hadn't reported your suspicions how would you feel,
really, deep down?

There are people in positions in authority for their own sections of the workforce and the health and safety of the site is regularly overseen by a company called Kier, the restructured Newcastle under Lyme council workforce.

There are anonymous and official whistle blower sites out there. Or
maybe a call the HSE?

I still don't know how to approach people tactfully. Something I've never needed to learn.

I don't think he was a rat. I got on well with him but in the last week he just went funny with me. I did take the **** a little and upset him when he was moving those machines. I wasn't in a position to do much else.

Maybe that galled him too much for forgiveness.

What I need is to learn how to write a tactful letter to whoever, rather than the ****ty, spiteful stuff I am more likely to send -if I do send anything. I will probably refrain if it means that alternative.

I think I will pop around to the Keir offices there. But I would rather have a chat with one of the trade overseers on that site first. But am I just passing the buck?

I imagine that all it will require is that the genny is tuned. I think the valves only want a regrind but that will cost hundreds, won't it. But he won't even get the toilets unblocked. How can you deal with someone like that?

I think I will pop down there tomorrow. I have no idea what I am going to say.