Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone here part of SpeedWatch?

In article ,
"Robin" writes:
Apologies for mis-keying leading to premature epostulation

pedantry_watch

I think there's also an exemption from repeater signs if there are
full-size 20 mph signs at every entrance to the controlled roads. That
catches out some visitors here where - although AFAICS there's no
enforcement of the lmit at all.

/pedantry_watch

My reading of the road signs act at the time was that 20MPH limits have
to have either regular 20MPH repeater signs, or traffic calming measures
in order to be enforcible. We have neither. Specifically, the 20 signs
they painted on the road as repeaters don't count.

The requirement for repeaters applies in all cases where the speed limit
is different from what it would be if there are no signs. 20MPH zones are
slightly different in that traffic calming measures designed to limit
speed can be used instead of repeaters.

The police here already said they wouldn't enforce it, but they would
support the council setting up the speedwatch group if they wanted to.

The justification for setting it up was that people were not observing
the 30MPH limit, to which we all said, well why not enforce that then?
It was a typical clueless council initiative, which also run out of
money before they got far enough to make it enforcible anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel