Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone here part of SpeedWatch?

On 18/01/15 16:40, Johny B Good wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:11:59 +0000, Tim Watts

On 2015-01-18, Robin wrote:
They tried to setup one around me for a new 20MPH zone, but I've never
seen it operating in the 20MPH zone, only in the older 30MPH areas.
I suspect they never finished off the 20MPH signage to legal
requirements (in particular, the repeaters or traffic calming measures
required were not implemented, just 20's painted on the road, which I
don't think count for anything).

pedantry_watch

Only if you think that complying with the law is pedantry.

Depends. Pulling people 1mph over the limit would be pedantic, even
though technically still an offence. Not to mention some laws are just
stupid and should not be complied with on principle.

There's no such thing as being pulled over by the police for being
only 1mph over the posted or implied limit (unless you're referring to
the possibility of being caught by doing 36mph in a 30mph limited
section of road).

We're talking about the neighbourhood DIY speed gun schemes.

And I used "pull" loosely - they get your number, which amounts to the
same thing.

Indeed, the police (at least the North Wales Police who most
definitely aren't working hand in hand with the Welsh tourist board)
will quite happily annoy motorists who have touched the limit plus 10%
plus 2mph allowances as I discovered a decade or so back.

This are ACPO guidelines - the law is absolute about the limits.

The only consolation to this incident, where I was clocked as doing
35mph (almost certainly at the beginning of a 30mph stretch after
travelling a 50mph or derestricted section) was that I was offered the
alternative of a speed awareness course (same 60 quid price as a
speeding ticket but without the addition of 3 points on my license).
Needless to say, I opted for the speed awareness course.

Whilst, currently in law, there's no enforcable speed limit below
30mph and signage for 20mph and slower are merely 'advisory', there
are plenty of side roads (and even the odd main road) where travelling
at the 30mph limit is quite clearly 'wreckless' or downright
dangerous.

In this case, the police would certainly be able to prosecute
motorists who fail to take heed of the 20mph advisory signage, not on
the basis of 'breaking a speed limit' but on the basis of 'wreckless'
or 'dangerous' driving, so are not powerless to deal with such
inconsiderate road users.

Perhaps the police aren't so keen on taking this approach since the
prosecution process isn't quite so clean cut as a measurement of speed
showing a clear and unambiguous breach of the speed laws. IOW, they
prefer to take the lazy way out when such incidents do not include
death or injury.