Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nissan Tino wipers solved (Thank uou!!)

On 18/01/2015 14:13, Phil K wrote:
I just wanted to thank everyone for the help with my Nisan Tino wiper
problem. I followed Lee's advice and bridged pins 3& 5 of the relay. The
wipers then worked! (Thaks a million, Lee!)

So I guess this points to the relay being at fault. Now I have what I
suspect is probably a silly question... If it works fine with the relay
pins jumped, why do I need a relay in there at all? Can I just leave it as
is, with the pins 3& 5 bridged?

If you leave it permanently bridged, the wipers will run all the time!

A relay contains a coil which is powered from the wiper switch and which
carries just a low current. When the coil is energised, the main
contacts close - causing the wipers to run. If either the coil or the
contacts are duff, it won't work - except by bridging the contacts. In
this case, the relay needs to be replaced. They usually just plug in.

*However* the symptoms will be very similar if there's a problem with
the wiper switch or with the wiring between switch and relay. In this
case, replacing the relay *won't* fix the problem. You need to bottom
out which it is before incurring any expenditure.
--
Cheers,
Roger