Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT(ish) 12V compressor vs. 240V compressor for tyres

In article ,
David wrote:
I'm looking at a more robust compressor to blow up the camper van tyres.
Rears need to go up to 5 bar 72.5 PSI. Basic 12v cigar lighter pumps can
struggle to get this high and/or take a very long time.

Of course they do - a fag lighter is restricted to 10 amps or 120 watts,
so the maximum size motor will be about 1/6th HP. You really need more
like 1 HP plus to avoid taking for ever. It's not a problem to make a
small compressor deliver the required pressure - just the time it takes to
deliver enough air.
Snag when you go to 1 HP (approx 750 watts) or more from 12v is the size
of the cable needed - especially if a longish length. You're talking 60
amps plus - so need pretty thick cables. More like jump leads.

Lidl recently did a 'suitcase' 1.1 kW compressor - very easy to carry and
store, which makes light work of pumping up car tyres. But is mains only.
Was something like 30 quid - so worth looking out for before the season
starts again.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.