Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Which is Safer, Internet or Phone

In article ,
bert ] wrote:
My feeling is it would be very much easier to hack into a phone line and
get your details that way - if anyone could be bothered. Mobile more
difficult.

To do that you would have to know which phone line to listen to and
when. This would require access to and knowledge of an exchange or
street cab.

Yes you would. But for those who are paranoid about such things I was
simply saying I personally would find that easier to do.

Whereas to hack online transactions the hacker can sit at
home and generate a suitable malware and let it spread itself and pick
up combinations of user id/password or card no/security code at random

The hacker has to write suitable software *and* get it installed on your
computer. Then interpret the results. I've a feeling simply sending out
lots of phishing emails may get easier results.

You do know you pay extra to use a credit card over a debit card for
VED?

Must admit I rely on Spybot to tell me if anyone tries to install a
nasty here.

As should everyone - other ant-nasty software tools are available

And at least try and understand what it's telling you. If it blocks a
change to the registry and you simply click on OK to let anything happen,
it may not be worth bothering with.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.