Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default Interesting ...

On 06/01/15 10:47, john james wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 06/01/15 06:10, John Robertson wrote:

And do 12V LEDs have driver circuits which are less stressed than
their mains equivalents? ie are 12V formats more likely to last longer?

Yes, you don’t need to use caps at all with some configurations of
those, most obviously with series leds.

So one thing is clear - if I decide to deploy high power LEDs I might be
better offering a SELV supply to them and choosing fittings that can
take 12V lamps.

As it happens, I will be using LEDs in a number of relatively open
fittings (GU10s ion the end of stalks, plenty of air), 3 very low power
GU10s in downlighters (2-3W range) as night lighting in the hall.

Other candidates are some 12V G4s in the bathroom, enclosed and some
GX53s (open fitting). So on the whole I should be doing OK with LED
retro fit as the price comes down.