Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Interesting ...

Brian Gaff wrote

Well back in the days when i could see, I used to build stuff and used
solder, but increasingly even then automation for mass produced products
meant that surface mount and wire wrap techniques abounded. I'd imagine
with the banning of leaded solder its more likely that machines can make
better joints than humans even if they could use soldering stations
easily.

They still do in china as the recently posted youtube
video of one of the production lines in china shows.

Back then the only folk still soldering in industry were the development
types.

Not in china.

If a pcb failed in test, then it was taken out junked and replaced.

Not in china.

Gone are the days when simple hands on component substitution was cost
effective it seems.

Not in china.

As for led lamps, I imagine they are still in the early stages of
evaluation.

Particularly with the higher powered ones.

More production than evaluation tho.

Nobody has had them in service long enough to refine colour temp and
reliability methods.

I doubt that is true of Cree.

It will probably only get better though

Absolutely certainly.

as the efficiency is so much better than alternatives, they are going to
make it work.

They already have with quite a bit of LED stuff.

"N_Cook" wrote in message
On 02/01/2015 14:56, Arfa Daily wrote:
EE Times article that came to me by email today

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/e...s_id=222923405

Arfa

There is a shop in town that is all LED strip lighting. So far no
failures noticed, but I will estimate the total number of LEDs and
monitor over time. I would guess , sitting here, something like 20,000
5mm LEDs in total (not the higher powered types). I feel like running a
red/orange felt-tip along all
the cover-strips of the LED runs, as its that horrible stark blue-white.
Doesn't take much pen ink to give a much warmer tone (to CFL bulbs
anyway)

This article has soldering as a dying art along with trug making etc

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...heritage-craft

perhaps they meant soldering as in tin-smithing.
But on the other hand how much hands-on soldering rework of modern day
mass electronics production is there?