Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Interesting ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

EE Times article that came to me by email today

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/e...lie-about-led-

lighting.html?cmp_id=7&news_id=222923405

Arfa

Yup, a lot of the consumer-grade LED lighting, at least, is
crap! Some of it is even a FIRE hazard!

I made my own LED retrofits. Not cheap, but they are working well.
I measured the power draw of the ANCIENT magnetic ballasts for
a two-lamp 48" fluorescent at 101 W. The replacement with
20 Cree "1 W" LEDs draws a measured 21 W. I used a commercial
LED lighting power supply from Digi-key. I have 3 units installed
with these Cree LEDs so far (first one was only 10 LEDs and a
home-made power supply) and I am really happy with them.

Jon