Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default Failure mode of cheap wireless doorbell chime pushes

Hi Mike

On Thursday, 1 January 2015 11:41:51 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo ,
jkn escribió:

I know they are cheap rubbish, and the attrition rate is high; nevertheless I
am thinking of taking a closer look at one that has stopped working.

They can't cope with the UK weather. My solution was to fit the cheapo
wireless bellpush inside, then drill through and put a decent Friedland
one outside wired in parallel with the cheapo. Problem solved, and the
batteries can be checked/changed in the dry and warm.

Well, yes, but I was really trying to learn if there was a particular area that
'can't cope with the UK weather'. As others have mentioned it may well be the
pushbutton switch (the spec of similar switches seems to indicate an ON
resistance of 0.1 Ohm, so my measurement of 50 Ohm may well indicate a
a problem there) but I was wondering about specific experience.

Your solution may well be the one I will end up with; I wonder what the
Friedland wired bellpushes use for a switch, and why that copes better. I
appreciate that the fact that they run on 12V or so, and with a larger
current, indicates a different type of switch...

Jon N