Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Interesting ...

"N_Cook" wrote in message
On 02/01/2015 14:56, Arfa Daily wrote:
EE Times article that came to me by email today

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/e...s_id=222923405

Arfa

There is a shop in town that is all LED strip lighting. So far no failures
noticed, but I will estimate the total number of LEDs and monitor over
time. I would guess , sitting here, something like 20,000 5mm LEDs in
total (not the higher powered types). I feel like running a red/orange
felt-tip along all
the cover-strips of the LED runs, as its that horrible stark blue-white.
Doesn't take much pen ink to give a much warmer tone (to CFL bulbs anyway)

This article has soldering as a dying art along with trug making etc
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...heritage-craft

Just more mindlessly silly journalism.

There might be only one person still making denim
on that soggy little island, but plenty in china.

perhaps they meant soldering as in tin-smithing.

Corse they did and they're wrong about that too.

But on the other hand how much hands-on soldering rework of modern day
mass electronics production is there?

Quite a bit actually. Forget what they were making but
someone posted a link to a youtube of a factory in china
making something like a video camera or something.

Lots of hand soldering going on.