luke15 luke15 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What I did in your exact situation: level the machine adequately with
wedges, I used wood, but you can now make aluminium , and use a static
phase converter. Worked passably well for me, I have stalled the motor a
few times under heavyish cuts but I have a 1.5hp motor, so I am realizing
only 1 hp. Upgrade later, unless you luck into a VFD at a great deal.

Brian
"FLowen" wrote in message
om...
Milling machinist wannabee is the proud new owner of a 25 year old
Bridgeport Series I vertical mill, being delivered this week. I will
be using the machine to fabricate firearm parts, mostly small parts.
10 pounds would be an unusually heavy piece. Being a newbie I need
some real basic advice.

1) My concrete floor is out-of-level by 1/4" side-side across the 2'
width of the machine base, and 3/8" front-back along the 3' length of
the base. Would leveling pads be advisable?...or would steel shims
under the base bolt holes be just as good? Or is anything at all even
necessary?

2) I have single phase power. The mill is a 3 phase 2HP. No CNC
equipment in the foreseeable future. I will add a DRO, and probably
traverse power feed (I have longitudinal). I believe the power feeds
are 110VAC plug ins and if so would be a separate circuit. I have
gotten the full range of recommendations. Some say a static electronic
converter at $150 is plenty sufficient; others say I should go with a
$500+ rotary converter with a 5HP capacity (I don't plan to add any
other 3 phase equipment); and one fellow suggested making a "pony
motor" from a used 2-5 HP 3 phase motor, wired with the 2 legs of
single phase input power to 2 of the 3 motor terminals, and then the 3
terminals to the machine, equipping the pony motor with a hand start
pull cord, ever hear of that? I'd like to hear the thoughts of you
experienced folks.

3) Suggestions as to a good 2 axis (with the 3rd on the spindle if
affordable) DRO system a capable mechanic inexperienced with DROs
could retro-fit?
I have done some woodwork and found that the Jaguar drives work well with my needs with my 15hp lathe. Hope this helps.