Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred James[_2_] Fred James[_2_] is offline

Default 96 Aerostar hood liner fire

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news
On 4/7/2015 8:06 AM, TimR wrote:

A head gasket will cost you about $3500 and a rebuilt engine the same. If you like the van (I did) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

How's the transmission? It's about time for that to go, you might want to think about biting both bullets.

When it is all done, your $3500 investment will give you a vehicle worth
about $2000. You have to really, really, really, like it to make that
sort of investment. Don't make it part of your retirement portfolio.

Remember, I'm not going to fix it and sell it right away -- I'm looking at the next 5 years. Also there's more to consider than just repair and resell value.

This would be a good analysis if you have time to get the info. I have done this in the past and don't need to do it again.

If you have time, look up and post the purchase price of an equiv Ford van from a dealer less any trade-in value of the '96 in this condition. List the cost of Calif state & San Diego city/county sales tax, registration and other required DMV costs, plus the annual costs of Calif registration for both vehicles for the next 5 years. Use $3500 as the original purchase price for the 96.