Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default 96 Aerostar hood liner fire

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 12:58:37 AM UTC-4, Fred James wrote:
He also checked out engine which has been overheating lately and rough running. Said it was a leaking head gasket. Said the tan colored residue where coolant spilled out are from the engine leaking exhaust into the coolant. Gastket leak was also pressurizing the radiator and causing coolant to flow out the cap and was overflowing the reservoir.

A head gasket will cost you about $3500 and a rebuilt engine the same. If you like the van (I did) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

How's the transmission? It's about time for that to go, you might want to think about biting both bullets.