Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Driving ground rods

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 9:57:30 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Isn't there something in the code about putting the rods in sideways or
something if the ground is rocky and difficult to drive the rods in ? I
don't do electrical work for a living so not up on the codes. There are
some areas around the area I live in are almost all rock. I help keep up a
local ham radio repeater. A while back a new tower was going up and the
crew had a big power rod driver . Looked like a small air hammer except it
was electric. The thing worked well for about the first 4 feet , then hit
rocks and would not drive it any more. As this was not anything that needed
to be inspected, we quit trying to drive the rods in any deeper. The same
thing hapened to all 5 of the rode we tried to drive in at different places.

You hit rocks 5 times?

Don't think so.

You hit an underground storage tank, a sewer line, a gas line, a water line, and an electric power line.

Good thing you stopped when you did.