Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos,alt.home.repair

Default 96 Aerostar hood liner fire

On Sun, 05 Apr 2015 17:44:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/5/2015 1:08 PM, Fred James wrote:
"Fred James" wrote in message ...

I'm stumped with this one. What do you fellers think could have cause a spark? No damage. I'm not taking a chance in my shade tree skills with this one, but have to use the car tomorrow around town until the shop opens on Monday. Meanwhile, I put a fire extinguisher and a full 2 gallon weed sprayer in the front seat just in case.

Car was cold. Drove about 3 miles at 35mph or less. Parked. Then smelled asbestos burning.

There is no asbestos and it is a mineral that does not burn.

Since it is above the battery, I'd think it could have been electrical.
Possible that a cat, squirrel, or other small animal started to build
a nest and brough up some material that shorted across the battery and
burned up leaving little visible residue. Wet dried out grass coud
evendo it.

I have had a hot spot on the top of the battery in the Mystique -
looked like there had been a small fire at some time - - there were
maple keys all blackenned and charred -We had trouble with chipmunks
chewing on things (ate plug wires and vac hoses as well as the
underhood pad) and my suspicion is the rascal ****ed on the maple keys
on top of the battery, causing them to conduct to the hold-down
bracket and heat up.
No proof, but no other explanation.