Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Will sea levels really rise if the glaciers melt?

On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 2:41:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 23:24:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No bill here. We get free pickup. Trash to energy makes a lot of sense
to reduce volume. Nor everything should be recycled. No can we keep
digging holes in the ground and fill them with trash.

There is a bill, they just hide it in your property taxes and that
bill went up when they started recycling. The only thing that actually
makes economic sense to recycle is metal and the "scrappers" actually
will pick that up for free,

There is really no reason why we can't keep throwing stuff in a land
fill (the overall area used is insignificant) but burning what you can
to create energy makes more sense. With things like p[aper and
plastic, it probably makes more sense than recycling them in most
places. They were shipping plastics over 1000 miles from here to the
recycling plant. How is that ecologically sound? Without the tax payer
subsidy it would not have happened at all.

IDK what the overall economic equation is regarding recycling
today. At least with newspapers, even 40 years ago, it was
marginally profitable to recycle them, most of the time. Prices
paid fluctuated though, so sometimes it wasn't. Plastics, IDK.
They do turn most of that into carpet, whether it could entirely
survive on it's own economics, IDK. Here for example, they collect
it separately together with newspaper, paper, cardboard, glass,
cans, etc. It all goes to a sort facility. I think the sort facility
is private, the pickup is the township. Township might be paying
the sort facility something though. But if they had to dispose of
it a landfill, that would cost as well.

Burning it was a big battle fought here and lost in the 80s.
County wanted to build an electric generation facility at the
landfill site. It made sense to me. Turn the trash into
electricity, generate energy that gets sold, save landfill
space. You know what happened.
The usual hippies that are against anything and everything
got it killed. So, the landfill is filling up....