Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.sheds
Col. Edmund Burke[_8_] Col. Edmund Burke[_8_] is offline

Default Will sea levels really rise if the glaciers melt?

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
But we don't live in a glass of iced water do we, and also hotter water
also takes up more room. Its not just the ice. I'm probably wasting my
time replying to this, but it is an interesting subject, nonetheless.

Brian? Wasting yer time? Is that 'cause you figgure yerself to be smarter
'n this feller?
Typically limey to think so, Brian. LOL

The current situation is that the ice is also stuck in a place and when it
melts is is free to flow to other places, and as although ice takes up
more room than water due to its crystalline form, the fact that much of it
is not actually in the sea has to be borne in mind here. A glassier is a
frozen river flowing to the sea after all, and if it thaws that water
will get to the sea faster.

Of course evaporation has a part to play in the opposite direction, but as
sea levels are rising, I think the trend has to be for this to continue to
places in the world where land is low lying.
End of waffle.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Col. Edmund Burke" wrote in message
"Rebel 1" axes in message
I posting this here because there a good analytical minds here.

An experiment: Fill a tall clear glass half-way(sic) with ice cubes.
Then add enough water so the bottom cubes no longer touch the bottom
(i.e., they are all floating). Now put a mark at the water level and
wait until the cubes all melt. Did the water rise above your mark?

In my case, it didn't.

R1

In the coming Hydrocene Era, life on planet Earth will be forced to adapt
to a marine lifestyle or face extinction. London, England (aka: the tiny
island nation) will be the first to submit to rising sea levels, forcing
these buck-toothed pasty-faces to run for higher ground.