Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Microsoft callled.

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 07:33:43 -0400, Peter wrote:

On 3/28/2015 6:51 PM, micky wrote:
OT I got a call from Microsoft yesterday. He said I had
problems with my computer, and he was going to help me. I thanked
him.

He had me go to eventviewer, eventvwr. Then to applications.
Boy, was he right! I had loads of information lines and lots of
warnings and errors. Then he had me go to www.?????.me. I forget
what the questions marks were. I wasn't using this computer but
the laptop, in bed, and it was really slow..... When I couldn't
get there, he sent me to teamviewer.com.

Anyhow, I kept him on the phone for 53 minutes. He got annoyed
once when he had to keep repeating the second letter in Team. I
really couldn't understand him or guess what it was. He almost
yelled at me.

Later, I mentioned food, and he hung up, I guess. Maybe he
doesn't like food. I hope he calls back. I have to get rid of
those errors.

You sir, are a great humanitarian. Tied that scumbag up for near an
hour, you did.

Whenever possible I like to take the time to screw with them,
especially the telemarketers. If I can keep them on the line for ten
minutes or so by taking other calls and putting them on hold, it's a
real joy when I blow them off. Even I have learned some new words!

Had a scammer try to work his magic when I had a riding mower for
sale on Craigslist. Same old "I'll buy it and have my shipper pick
it up when he comes through in three weeks." Actually convinced him
to send me the money order/cashier's check TWICE but the only address
he had was the Post Office and I told him to send it certified mail.
Dumbbell kept sending it by Federal Express (He legitimately sent it
as there was no mistaking the Fedex emails and calls.) I just told
him there was no way to have FEDEX deliver it so he'd have to send it
to the PO Box via USPS. Two times he used FEDEX so I figure I got
into him for at least $35 before he gave up. Shoot! I really wanted
one of those phony cashier's checks or money orders for my
collection.

As senior citizens, with senior citizen voices, our favorite response to
telemarketers is, "we're sorry but we're not permitted to answer these
calls." We laugh when we picture the head scratching that sentence must
cause (assuming that the caller understands English).

I just ask "if you are getting messages from my computer, what kind
of computer do I have?, and what operating system is it running??- and
what is my email address???"

or "computer????? What's a computer?"