Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Automatic lamp post; lights on at dusk, off at dawn

I USED to have failures of my pole lights photocell detector. 2 or3 times a year it would just quit working. expensive at 35 bucks each..

then one night I saw it happen. I was coming out of the house at dusk. The light controller must of turned on, the bulb went brilliant white then off.

Ahh bulb burned out.

I replaced bulb, but it wouldnt go on. after trying some other bulbs, and finally replacing the photo cell again.

I realized th white flash damaged the photocell

So I tried CFLs in it and perhaps 10 years later that same photocell is working fine.

Recently I upgraded to LED bulb, and thats been fantastic