Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Service Entrance Cable -- Repair Insulation?

In ,
typed:
Gray/grey roofing cement or silicone rubber would keep the water out.
Then, painting the entire cable with some sort of rubberized
waterproofing paint, when the weather gets better, should provide
enough protection unless something hits the cable and knocks the
paint off. A piece of cardboard placed behind the cable would keep
whatever you coat it with from getting on the house siding itself.

I think most of us thought the insulation problem was at the "head"
where the wires go into a vertical pipe and/or make a sharp bend and
the insulation usually deteriorates there first.

Thanks. Interesting idea, and the idea/reminder about putting a piece of
cardboard behind the cable while painting helped too.

If I get a chance, I'll take a wide shot of the whole cable and meter box
and post that just to give a better idea of what the setup is that is there
now.